Friday, February 24, 2012

Woot: Paper Covered Outlet Covers

One thing that I have learned about myself as a brand new homeowner is that I am rather obsessive compulsive about light switch  and outlet covers.  In my opinion, an ugly, old fashioned, or dingy/dirty light switch cover can throw off a whole room.  I happen to like fancier ones, like brushed silver and bronze ($8-15 each typically), which adds up in price when you're replacing a whole house of them.  The good news is that you can jazz them up yourself for much cheaper!



The original pin: http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/2011/10/covered-light-switch-outlet-plates.html

I was drawn to this pin because I thought that the possibilities of it were only as endless as the scrapbook paper selection at your local craft store.  Off I went to Lowe's (my new home away from home) in search of outlet covers.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that they're only about 60 cents, so I grabbed 6 of them.  Then, I went to the craft store and got 3 pieces of scrapbook paper for about 60-70 cents a sheet.  I got one to match my bedroom, one with popcorn on it to go with my movie theater room, and one with flowers on it to match the living room.  I already have Modge Podge, but if you don't, that will be the most expensive part of your project...  It's probably about 6 bucks a jar.  There are tutorials on Pinterest to make your own (maybe we'll try that here!) or you could also try watering down some Elmer's.

The materials I had were: 3 large pieces of scrapbook paper, 6 outlet covers, scissors, X-acto knife, Modge Podge

I cut the scrapbook paper to a bit bigger than the switchplate.  You want to make sure that you have enough to cover the edges and go around to the back, or you will just end up having it peel off later.  I Modge Podged the scrapbook paper to the front, folded it around to the back, and trimmed where necessary.  I had a difficult time getting the paper to want to stick to the back using the Modge Podge.  (And when I say "difficult," I mean I was cussing it up one side and down the other.)  I wonder if that part would be better to use a glue gun for because it would set up much more quickly.  After the scrapbook paper was on, I cut around the shape of the outlet holes with an X-acto knife and Modge Podged over the whole thing.  I didn't bother doing anything with the screw holes, figuring that when I attached the things to the wall, I'd be sticking the screws through anyway which would make an easy hole (and it did work fine like that).



You can see on the middle ones that the paper raised and "bubbled" up some.  I'm not sure if that is because I used too much Modge Podge or not enough Modge Podge, but I was unable to fix it.  That particular paper also wanted to tear easily when wet and some of its pattern wore off around the edges.  It also didn't cut as cleanly around the outlet holes.  It was the same thickness of paper, so I'm not sure if it was the ink/design on it or what.  You may have to experiment with different scrapbook papers.  I've seen online where some people have done this with printed tissue paper, and I'd like to try that next.  I think part of the reason that I had trouble folding the edges over the back was the thickness of the paper, so I think thinner paper could work better.



Difficulty Rating: Easy, but more fiddly than it initially looks.

Project Cost: About $5 for 6

Verdict: This is a woot.  It's a fun, easy, and very inexpensive way to add a touch of creativity and color to your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment